- EyeSee360 was founded in 1998 as an offshoot of Carnegie Mellon University’s Robotics Department. The technology was invented to be a part of a robot going on a space mission. The requirement? To capture 360 degree images in one-shot with no stitching. This was just the beginning of the 360 degree video capabilities that consumers now know, and use, through GoPano products.
2001: Three Rivers Implosion.
- In 2001, one of the most storied stadiums in the country was reduced to pieces of rock and metal in a matter of seconds. The only camera to survive the historic implosion was none other than the GoPano plus optic, which was installed inside Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers Stadium prior to implosion. As the stadium imploded, the action was all captured in 360 degree video format. Watch the 360 degree video of the actual implosion captured by GoPano cameras here: http://www.gopano.com/video/1390.
- GoPano’s 360 degree video footage of the implosion was also featured on The History Channel, and on FOX News.
2002: EyeSee360/GoPano Wins MacWorld Best of Show Award.
- EyeSee360 introduced its 1st commercial single shot optic, the 360 One™, at the MacWorld Expo in San Francisco, CA. (Note: The 360 One™ VR is the present day GoPano plus).
- The 360 One™ enabled users to create a 360 degree QuickTime VR movie with 100 degrees of vertical field of view, all in a single shot.
- MacWorld Awards are given to the most exciting hardware and software products announced at the Macworld Conference & Expo each year. In 2002, the EyeSee360 360 One™ took home ‘Best in Show.’
2005: Release of 1st Production Tool for Panoramic Video.
- Groundbreaking release of Videowarp Creator (now called Videowarp Director). Videowarp is the first production tool, ever, designed for the processing and editing of panoramic videos, bringing an entirely new angle to creative content. By freeing video from the single perspective of a conventional camera, you can interact with video content in a way never before possible.
- Country duo, Montgomery Gentry, makes the World’s first 360 degree music video for their song, “Roll With Me,” using GoPano’s 360 technology. Today, there are several 360 videos made with competing technologies. Back in 2006, however, Montgomery Gentry leaned on EyeSee360’s technology to take music videos 360 for the first time. Watch their 360 music video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoPg1EG2AKk
- GoPano 360 technology is having a solid impact on the music industry to-date, with several music videos popping up in 360 degrees. Tune in to some of the recent 360 degree music videos, below:
- GoPano 360 technology has also influenced the recording of live performances, with artists and bands using the panoramic lenses to capture their live performance action in 360. Watch a few examples, below:
2007: First 360 Degree Commercial Shot with GoPano Products.
- GoPano’s influence extended beyond music videos in 2007 to advertising and marketing. Hummer leaned on GoPano 360 technology, producing the first commercial shot in 360 degrees. Two versions of the commercial were produced:
- Mitsubishi, more recently, incorporated GoPano’s 360 technology in the production of one of their commercials. Watch the final result, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P69mEuYyzjo
- The trend of 360 degree technology being utilized in automobile and in-car videos has remained consistent with fresh 360 videos being posted frequently:
2008: EyeSee360 ‘Joins Forces’ with the US Military.
- The US Army integrated our 360 technology back in 2008 for surveillance purposes. Currently, a fleet of field Humvees (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles) deployed in Iraq is utilizing GoPano 360 technology.
2010: EyeSee360 Meets Education and Microsoft®.
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation sponsored the development of a special 360 video platform (see below: EyeSee360 + Microsoft®), incorporating EyeSee360 technology, to be used for teacher evaluation. This program has been implemented in schools across the country, giving teachers a chance to watch students’ reactions in real time and indentify where the gaps in interest occur in the classroom.
- The contractor providing cameras for the project, TechScape, which is the leader in delivering web-based professional learning content, innovative technologies, and expert services to improve teaching practice, sought out EyeSee360’s 360 lenses for use in the project.
- Bill Gates discusses GoPano’s 360 technology in the following interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2EyF1fkio
2010: EyeSee360 + Microsoft®.
- In 2010, EyeSee360 developed a technology for Microsoft® that would be used in developing the first ever platform for 360 degree 3D technology. If you ask us, three-dimensional technology together with 360° technology could possibly be the best ever virtual reality experience one can get.
2011: EyeSee360 Takes Viewers on the Inside at Nascar and PGA.
- First-ever live 360 degree broadcasting of Nascar and PGA golf courtesy of EyeSee360 technology. GoPano lenses were used to broadcast two live events in 360, increasing viewership and average time spent on the website four-fold (as reported by PGA). A PGA Company Official had this to say, “Our viewers get almost the same experience as being there with this 360 video technology.”
2011: GoPano Technology Goes Mainstream.
- In October, EyeSee360 launched the GoPano micro, GoPano video sharing website, and GoPano App. Though the technology has been around for a decade it was not accessible to the mainstream market. For the first time ever, with the GoPano micro, any one with an iPhone 4 or 4S can now make 360 videos.
- Announcement on the GoPano blog “Life Happens in 360… Now Your Videos Can Too!”: http://blog.gopano.com/2011/10/17/gopano-micro-360-video-lens-app-for-iphone-now-available/
2012: GoPano.com + GoPano App… Now, and Onward.
- As 360 technology becomes more accessible, we see more creative uses of the GoPano technology. From 360 short films, music videos, interviews to in-car videos, sporting events, birthday parties, and concerts… Real-life every-day 360 videos are being created and shared daily on the World’s first 360 video sharing network, GoPano.com.
- We look forward to all that comes next, whether its website updates or improvements, new industries that 360 degree videos impact, or simply GoPano in the hands of more consumers… We’re ready for it, and hope you’ll embrace this 360 technology with the same zest!